Well folks.. it’s that time! It’s time to run to those blogs, works those fingers to the bones to make your blog the best bloggy-blog version it can be- to get tips and advice! Bloggiesta is fun and a great way to meet other bloggers while you are working hard on the blog! For a more technical definition of what Bloggiesta is, read that article (I’ll wait and sip on a margarita while you do that- because Bloggiesta and Margarita go together like PB&J!)
So… When Suey J put out the call to bloggers saying they needed more bloggers to host a challenge- I was intrigued- especially when I saw the opportunity to chat about Facebook Page For Your Blog: Yes or No? Couple of quick emails later and now here we are!
Do You Need A Facebook Page For Your Blog?
Do you? It’s just another piece of social media to keep up with, to update, to have to work with.
So maybe you don’t need it. Maybe you feel like it’s another piece of social media and you’ll just drown under the pressure of keeping up with one more account.
And I know you are thinking “Hey T, aren’t all the cool kids hanging out at Google Plus? Isn’t Facebook going the way of the dinosaur?”
Short answers: No, you don’t really have to have a Facebook blog page. Yes, I can understand why you would feel like you are drowning in a sea of social media. And yes, for many reasons, people are jumping ship from Facebook to Google Plus.
So why in the heck are we debating the fact of having a Facebook blog page?
Because, it might just be worth the time.
Take a minute… and Google Traveling With T (I’ll wait right here). Ok, now that you have done that- you see that Traveling With T’s Facebook page is #2 on the Google search page (or it was today as I Googled it myself). Is that good? Is that bad? I’m not sure. What I do know is this: Having a social media presence and Google seeing this cannot be a bad thing. It just can’t.
Now, I’ll admit.. Facebook has been shooting itself in the foot lately with algorithms, wanting you to pay for advertising, and more of that stuff. And Google Plus is welcoming us bloggers with big open arms and showing major bloggy love. But, don’t forget the Facebook. Use it. Make an effort. It’ll pay off.
Why You Want A Facebook Page For Your Blog
– It’s another place to share your blog posts. Let’s face it- you want your blog to be known (and why shouldn’t you?) So, having a place to share your posts is a good thing.
– It’s a way to meet bloggers. With most bloggers having a Facebook page, creating your own will give you a way to meet other bloggers.
– Like stats? Welcome to Facebook! Each week, Facebook will send you an email about your weekly stats.
Tips for Rocking Your Facebook Page
So you’ve decided to take the plunge. And the likes are not rolling in. Bummer, I know.
– Play around with posting times. Read The Best Times to Post on Facebook for more info. Key Takeaway: 6-8am and 2-5pm are pretty good times to post.
– Interact with others. So the likes for your page are dribbling in (that’s ok!) Use this time to interact with the people who are liking your page. Also, go out in the wild word of Facebook and “like” a few pages. Could lead to more likes for your page. (Don’t do that whole “dropping by from X page or ask someone to like you, though.)
– Don’t Just Post Your Blog Posts to Facebook page. I know you are thinking “It’s MY Facebook page, so what the heck am I going to post?” Don’t just post YOUR stuff. Post cool articles from Book Riot or updates from fav authors about upcoming books. Even better- be a good bloggy person and post a link to a review that you liked of another blogger. #sharebloggylove
– Stay Active, But Be Smart About Social Media– here is the thing- your Facebook page probably won’t be a overnight success. Post, keep an active presence, interact with people who comment- but don’t post too much in one day. No hard and fast rule for how much to post- just know it’s better to leave people wanting more than getting tired of you.
Create a Facebook page for your blog during Bloggiesta. Getting started is the first step!
Objectives for Bloggiesta Weekend:
– Post 3 posts (at least 3- more is fine, though)
– Types of Post: Pictures, Book Covers, Links to reviews, a personal post- really, it’s limitless.
– Like at least 5 Facebook blog pages
– Pay attention to how many people are seeing the posts, the times you are posting, and what kind of post it is (is it a link to review? A picture of a book you are dying to read? Maybe a picture of a crafty project or recipe?)
– Add a Facebook blog button or the Facebook widget to your blog (you gotta let people know you are on Facebook!)
Already have a Facebook page? That’s cool. You won’t have to make another. Just follow the objectives (post at least 3 times, like at least 5 Facebook blog pages, take notes of time/types of post that are gathering most attention!)
And because you will have worked your booty off all weekend- working on that bloggy-blog is hard work- Traveling With T is having a giveaway!
And the prize is: A 15 buck ($15.00) Amazon Gift card (US only). Just click that Rafflecopter link below!
Happy Reading and Bookishly Yours,
T @ Traveling With T