Friday. Tomorrow going to a baseball game- fingers crossed for NO RAIN.
1. Book Blogger Twitter Con 2013– here are the details, the website, and more. Read and find out about it! #bbtc
2. Amazon Buying Goodreads. Here’s the thing: I don’t hate Amazon. I know some people are clutching their chest at that statement, but it’s the truth. Am I a total fan girl ready to defend Amazon to my last dying breath? No. But when you live in a small town, a town that barely has a grocery store- and never mind any Target/Walmart- Amazon becomes a place where you can shop, where you can get things that you can’t normally get. Now, I’ll admit: I’m a little cross with Amazon over stopping their “4 for 3” promotion because that is how I’d buy a ton of my cozy books, but not cross enough yet to cross them off my shopping sites.
Some scream “What about the indies?” And, yes, I suport the indies. Because, as much as I like Amazon- they haven’t figured out to have a bk signing virtually yet. I still like walking through the indie bookstore, seeing the books, and listening to people talk. I’ve even met some interesting people while I’m a indie store. I do my part to help keep the 3 indie bookstores that are near me in business- and I plan to continue. For me it all comes down to time, though. When you have to drive an hour to the nearest indie- it does get frustrating. But I do it as much as I can because I adore book signings. I walk in with my list of books that I plan to look at either before/after the signing- and I select a few. Sometimes, if I’m feeling super-generous- I buy an extra of the book that’s being signed- then I treat a friend.
For me- whether Amazon buying Goodreads is a good thing, bad thing, or will not change my opinion of Goodreads is yet to be seen. It’s just too early in the game- and there are too many variables (for me) at this point to formulate an educated response.
3. The Battle to Save Bookstores.
4. Deep South Mag and their #literaryfriday.
5. Tell Me Something True: A Visit With Lisa Wingate
6. The Magic of Childhood Reading
7. A Final Word From Rita Leganski
8. The Rita Leganski/The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow discussion is still happening at She Reads.
9. What is your #fridayreads? I have 2! And Then I Found You by Patti Callahan Henry and Learning to Fly by Steph Davis.
Happy Reading 🙂