Today is my blog’s 9th birthday. I’ve been blogging for 9 years. 9 YEARS. What started off as a little hobby to keep me off of Sephora and to expand my love of talking books on Twitter (and to get away from a limit of 140 characters- and yes, folks, I’ve been on Twitter since the 140 days- you have no idea how much freedom raising the character limit to 280 was 😉 has really morphed into something so much more. Making friends with other book lovers. Talking with authors. Getting books from publishers. Reading and reviewing books. Expanding my love of reading into other genres. Listening to audiobooks (shout out to Julia Whelan- who is the best audiobook narrator ever!)
Blogging is not all fun and games. Sometimes it’s hard. Sometimes I think about shutting down the blog and just micro-blogging on Instagram. Or whatever social media the cool kids will think of next. Or going back to my roots and blogging in now 280 characters on Twitter. Or even going super old school and focusing all my efforts on Facebook.
But, I love blogging. I love sitting here with my Mac at my glass table with my cat beside me and writing out reviews. Creating listicles. Talking with the community that I have formed here. And while I still love social media (and if you aren’t following me- please do so!) there is something about having a piece of the internet that is mine. Traveling With T and me- we’ve grown up over the past 9 years. Made some changes. Had our growing pains. I now pretty much consistently blog 3x a week ( I used to blog 6-7x a week). For me, it became unsustainable and 3x is my sweet spot.
2020 has been a year of big changes. First for me and my diagnosis with diabetes. Then the whole world- everything I had been looking forward to doing in 2020 was cancelled and now to find out that Book Expo is being “retired” has been a bit of a let down. I will miss seeing my friends in NYC- the books, Broadway shows, bellinis and cheesecake fun. Meeting with authors. Getting autographed books. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!
I’m not sure what 2021 will bring book and blog wise. Hopefully more good books! But I plan to be around for a long time- until the blog becomes zero fun (and it’s nowhere near that!)
So in honor of my 9th birthday of blogging- here are 9 facts:
1. I used to exclusively read cozy mysteries.
2. I fell in love with Sue Grafton’s writing because my then boyfriend gave me a copy of A is for Alibi.
3. At Book Expo 2019, I ran right into Karin Slaughter in the aisle on the floor (literally right into her.) She was nice about it though and even laughed about our run-in when I got a Caturday bag signed by her later on.
4. The same boyfriend that got me reading Sue Grafton- his mother got me reading Janet Evanovich by giving me One for the Money ( which lead me to binge read all of Janet’s books while impatiently awaiting the new book, To The Nines, to be published.
5. My first historical fiction book- A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (still one of my fave books!)
6. My first audiobook: Gone Girl. I read it in print and then decided to give it a try on audio one day. Julia Whelan narrates Amy and she’s perfection as Amy. My most recent fave audiobook- Beach Read by Emily Henry (again narrated by Julia Whelan.)
7. I was having dinner with Stephanie Evanovich when she found out Big Girl Panties made the NYT Bestseller List.
8. If Kristy Woodson Harvey writes it, I’m going to read it. BTW, have you put her next book, Under The Southern Sky, on your TBR list? It comes out 4.20.21!
9. You know the saying “I like big books and I cannot lie”? Confession: I don’t love big books. 😀
To say “hey thanks for sticking around to see what I’m blogging about” I’m giving away a $20 gift card to Barnes and Noble to 2 different US only winners. Check the Rafflecopter link for details on how to enter. Rules & Fine Print: Open to US only. This contest is void where prohibited. This contest is in no way sponsored by Rafflecopter, Amazon or my social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). No purchase necessary to win. Winner will be chosen by Rafflecopter’s randomized program. Winner will be emailed for their mailing address & I will send package directly to them. The giveaway ends December 29th at 11:59pm.
*What book will you buy if you win the $20 Barnes & Noble gift card?*
Happy Reading and Bookishly Yours,
T @ Traveling With T
18 thoughts on “Happy 9th Birthday, Traveling With T!”
Happy Blog Birthday, T!
Thanks so much!
Congrats on nine years! That’s a real milestone.
If I win I will purchase Surviving Savannah by Patti Callahan Henry.
Oh that would be a good choice!!!!
Happy Birthday! Love your blog!
Thank you so much!
I haven’t thought about what I would buy.
It’s so hard to decide!!! I think I would buy Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane!
Congratulations on 9 years! I think I’ve been reading for all — if not most — of them. Always enjoy what you have to say.
Well thanks so much!!!!! I love to hear that!
Happy blog birthday! Congrats! I have slowed down on my blog, too.
Thank you! I used to think the world would stop turning and I would quit getting books from publishers if I didn’t blog every day…. but I’m much happier with my schedule now!
Happy book birthday, Tamara! Congrats on a wonderful 9 years 🙂
Thanks so much Katie!!!!!