Lucy Burdette writes the Key West Food Critic mystery series- featuring Hayley- a food critic who is fun and quirky- plus likes to have her cards read by a Tarot reader when life is confusing.
Topped Chef is the 3rd in the series (and it made Deep South Magazine’s Summer Reading List!)
Lucy agreed to be interviewed for my blog (and I’m SUPER excited- because, I’m a total Hayley fan!)
Interview with Lucy Burdette
1. Topped Chef was recently chosen to be on Deep South Magazine’s Summer Reading List. How did you feel, as the author, seeing 1 of your books on the list?
I was thrilled! One of the challenges of writing is figuring out how to let the world know about the books–and showing up on a summer reading list is a dream. So thank you Tamara!!
2. Hayley likes to cook. And eat. Could a cookbook deal be in Hayley’s future?
Interesting question. I’m not sure there’s a cookbook deal in *my* future, but I love the idea of Hayley landing one. Imagine the complications that could cause…You may know that I blog with a small group of culinary mystery writers–the website is called Mystery Lovers Kitchen. We would love to write a cookbook together one day–between us we have a lot of wonderful recipes and fun characters.
3. The Key West Food Critic Mysteries have such bright, colorful and interesting covers. Do you have a vision for the covers or does the art department at Signet come up with the fabulous covers?
I feel so lucky to have these artists for my covers. And my editor is very good about asking for suggestions. I have started keeping a Pinterest board for each of the books as I write, adding photos that remind me of the characters and the story. When the folks at the publisher are ready to brainstorm with the artists about the cover, I send the link to them. The results have been wonderful! I’ll add the links to boards for TOPPED CHEF and the February 2014 release, MURDER WITH GANACHE, so you can see what I mean:
4. Denise Swanson recently started a street team to help spread the word about her Scumble River book series? Do you, Lucy, have plans to start a street team for the Lucy Burdette series?
Funny you should ask…I enlisted a street team to help me launch TOPPED CHEF this spring. The team consisted of folks who had written to me about how much they loved the Key West series. Some took bookmarks to libraries and bookstores near them, some helped me set up radio interviews, some shared posts on Facebook and Twitter. I know I will gear up again for MURDER WITH GANACHE early next year and welcome any and all prospective team members.
*Special thanks to Lucy Burdette for agreeing to be interviewed!
When Lucy is not dreaming new adventures for Hayley- she can be found at Mystery Lovers Kitchen contributing to the delicious recipes. Look for Murder With Ganache Feb 2014 (the 4th mystery in the Key West Food Critic series!) Need more Lucy? Check out Deep South Magazine’s Literary Friday for a recipe for Lime Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. Lucy is also a Jungle Red Writer member!
* To read my review of Topped Chef and an earlier interview with Lucy Burdette, visit here.
4 thoughts on “Interview with Lucy Burdette, author of Key West Food Critic Mystery series”
I enjoyed reading this Author interview, the book sounds great!
TY! Thanks for stopping by!
Lucy writes like Willie Mays played centerfield — her talent makes it look easy.
I LOVE Lucy’s writing! Thanks for stopping by!