Book Lovers Unite Week 2 Discussion Questions: The Life List

IMG_1491_2_4

Photo Credit: Goodreads

This is Week 2 questions for The Life List! Why am I posting these on Tuesday instead of a Friday? Yours truly forgot to post them last Friday in her rush to pack for vacation over the weekend- so I’m truly sorry!

In light of this, Week 3 Questions will be posted Friday Oct 25th and Final/Overall Thoughts of Book will be posted Thurs Oct 31st.

Week 1 questions are here for you ease of finding them!

Week 2 Questions:

1. Andrew decides to help Brett with her Life List. Why? Is this his way of showing Brett that he is the man for her- her rock?

9 thoughts on “Book Lovers Unite Week 2 Discussion Questions: The Life List

1. 1.Andrew decides to help Brett with her Life List. Why? Is this his way of showing Brett that he is the man for her- her rock? Andrew is so self-absorbed he thinks he can profit from Brett’s inheritance. That is the only he reason he decides to help her, which is why things in that department go south. It’s very sad for Brett.

2. Brett and Carrie- at this point in the book, can you understand why they drifted apart? Should Carrie hold a grudge? What would you do if you were Carrie? I find Carrie so full of grace and forgiveness, she is exactly the kind of friend Brett needed to have at this time in her life. I can understand what happened to draw them apart, but I am filled with joy for Brett that Carrie is the person she is.

3. Brett thinks she is pregnant. And this thought fills her with joy. How is Brett’s reaction different from an average single woman’s reaction at this possibility? I think most single women would be filled with dread, asking themselves “how will I do this alone?” Brett thinks it is a sign that things are coming together. Oh dear!

4. Brett’s father- can they begin a relationship? Has too much time passed? Does too much time ever pass for parent/child relationships? I do not think there is ever a time-limit on rekindling a relationship with a parent. Her heart has always had a void, and her dad may be able to reconcile some of that void.

2. 1. YESSSSSS! It would be 1 thing if the list was a jumping off point, a “what are we waiting for” moment- but to Andrew the List was a way to get what he wanted. Money. Prestige.
    I just want to pinch Brett when he asks about how much money it is- I know she thinks it’s about having an open/honest relationship- but really?!

2. I adored Carrie. Her willingness to overlook the past- her knowing that it wasn’t about Brett felt about her- it was more of a teenage kind of thing- that warmed my heart. I can’t say I really know many people like Carrie who are willing to let the past be the past- and move on.

3. Most would be filled with dread. And while a part of me hoped that Brett would be pregnant- b/c she obviously wanted a baby- I was glad it did not work out. Partly b/c it would have tied her to Andrew. Partly b/c it would have stalled Brett on the path of finding out who Brett is.

4. I don’t there is a time limit on beginning a relationship if both are truly interested in having a relationship. And Brett’s heart does have a void- and a father’s love- a real love might just be what she needs.

• lorispielman says:

Thanks so much for the replies, Melody and Tamara. You ladies nailed it! Andrew was thinking only about himself, and what completing the life list would mean for HIM! And though Brett had the niggling feeling that what he really wanted was her money, she tried to ignore her instinct–something we women should NEVER do!

You’re right, Melody, Carrie was exactly the kind of friend Brett needed. And her forgiveness and grace made their reunion so easy and natural. Like you said, Tamara, Carrie understood Brett was just a teenager and didn’t have the maturity to deal with her homosexuality at that time in their lives. Carrie didn’t hold their estrangement against her. We should all have a Carrie in our lives.

Brett was thrilled at the idea of being pregnant, but she was a little naive. Having a child with Andrew would have tied her to Andrew. I believe he would have been a lousy father and a constant source of frustration to Brett.

And finally, I agree, there’s no time limit on love! Both Brett and her father found this love later than they would have liked, but at least they finally found it!

Thanks so much for your insightful comments!

3. Heather C says:

I love that Brett reunited with her friend from childhood! I like Carrie’s role and her personality, and holding a grudge would seem to go against that easy going charm and warm open heartedness she shows. Children are not as emotionally sensitive as adults and we have all said or done things that we later regret or wish we had handled differently. I think years of friendship should not be lost by a hurtful incident if the person is truly sorry for their mistake. I think as Brett grew older she realized where she went wrong in this friendship and I was so very glad to see that they were able to reconnect after so many years. There are so so many good life lessons in this book – like this one! It encourages readers to get back in touch with old friends, to apologize for a past mistake and be able to move on, and to both give and receive second chances in life with people who mean a lot to you. I think this friendship was a great addition to the story.

• lorispielman says:

Thank you, Heather. I agree. Children and teens can be very insensitive. Most of us have probably done things we wish we could take back, but we’re too afraid to reach out as adults and make amends. It’s scary, facing someone we’ve hurt, but in this case, Brett had no choice. And lucky for Brett, Carrie is the same old wonderful, forgiving person she always was, and their friendship is renewed, just as Elizabeth anticipated!

4. Heather C says:

I don’t think there is an average woman’s reaction to pregnancy. I think it depends greatly on where that person is in life – including relationships, career, financial situation, and her ideas on parenthood. I think Brett’s reaction was based on the fact that she was really searching for someone to love and to love her back and to feel needed. I think it would have been tough to have had a baby and had the baby’s father in her life, but I think her reaction was appropriate for the emotional state she was in. I think if the pregnancy had lasted it may have been one of those things where Brett went through a rollercoaster of emotions both positive and negative.

• lorispielman says:

Oh, you’re so right. Pregnancies can be joyful or stressful, or both. Until you mentioned it, I hadn’t really thought about Brett’s long-term feelings if the pregnancy had continued. As I was writing, I knew she wasn’t going to have Andrew’s child. How insightful of you to recognize that Brett would have been on an emotional rollercoaster. Though she wanted a child desperately, Andrew would have complicated things. Would he have wanted her to abort? Would he have fought for partial custody, just to get some money from Brett? Or, would the baby have softened his heart, and forced him to step up and be a father? Who knows?

5. Heather C says:

Too much time can never pass to begin a relationship with anyone, especially with a parent and child. Sometimes it takes people a long time to find their way before they are ready to reconnect. It won’t be the same relationship as if he had raised her and had memories of dance recitals and school plays, but it can still be a beautiful and meaningful relationship to both of them. I think it is exactly what both Brett and her father (and sister!) need. I am so glad they were able to reconnect and form a future together

6. lorispielman says:

I think so too, Heather. I have heard stories where either the adoptive parent or the child isn’t receptive to a relationship w/their birth child/parent, and I think people need to respect that. But more often the stories of reunions are beautiful. Again, it was a risk for Brett, putting herself out there for possible rejection, but luckily, it was a wonderful, much-needed reunion for all. Thanks so much for your comments!